Harmony awoke early that morning. She knew she had to start writing her novel soon, or she would never finish it. She sat down at her desk and pulled out her notebook, preferring to hand-write her drafts. As she began, a feeling of dread swept over her. This was not hers. The story she had began, “The Inquiry of a Different Name” was too much the work of Austen and too little of her own. She should do well to not copy her own idols, but to instead draw from her own mind.
Harmony was a strange girl. She tried with all her heart to be sad and angry at the world like the poets she so admired, but she could find no substantial fault in her surroundings. The truth was, Harmony was perfectly content with her surroundings. She had a mind full of mystic lands, sweeping plains, and extensive metaphors. She had immense talent as a writer, but she never put any of it to use, instead deciding to spend her days reading Eliot and Whitman and smoking stale cigarettes. She was enrolled at Cambridge, studying art and literature, but rarely attended. When asked, her professors shook their head sadly and said she was wasting her talent and intelligence.
But that was precisely what Harmony wanted. She wanted to amount to nothing. She wanted to waste away. Simply put, she wanted to drown in her own nonexistent misery.
- INT. STEPH’S DORM ROOM- LATE AFTERNOON
- HARMONY, STEPH, NIK, MAGGIE, KAELAN and JAKE are sitting in a dorm room chatting. The dorm room is small, but accommodates them all with beanie bags and the bed. Posters of bands and films cover the walls. In the corner stands an impressive CD collection. These hang outs are a common thing after classes for HARMONY’s group of friends. JAKE is still not familiar with HARMONY or her friends and because of this is keeping to himself.
- JAKE: Harmony, I think I should go...
- HARMONY: No, stay! We have to get to know each other. Besides, we’re partners now!
- STEPH: A dream team!
- MAGGIE (Sarcastic): Yeah, next thing you know you guys will be married, living in a 2-bedroom in the middle of suburbia with your newborn son. How touching.
- Jake is obviously uncomfortable with the mention of him and Steph being a couple. Steph and Maggie continue messing around in the background.
- KAELAN: (To JAKE) Don’t mind them, man. They’re just messing around.
- NIK: Yeah, they can take things a little too far sometimes, better get used to it.
- In the background, Harmony and Steph are acting out a marriage with Maggie as the officiator. Kaelan and Nik get up to join the marriage as a bridesmaid and best man. Jake gets up to leave.
- HARMONY: But really guys, I’m not getting married. Or living in the suburbs. I want to do something. Something bigger. I want to mean something.
- This has caught Jake’s attention. He returns to his beanie bag, waiting for Harmony to continue. STEPH, MAGGIE, KAELAN, NIK mumble and groan. They’ve grown used to, and a little tired of HARMONY’s long speeches on this topic.
- MAGGIE (To KAELAN, who sighs and nods): Here we go again...
- NIK (To JAKE): Get used to this. You’ll hear plenty of it if you have to work with her.
- The group all settle down into their respective seats with looks of boredom and slight amusement. HARMONY remains standing, as if waiting for a cue to continue speaking.
- JAKE: What do you mean?
- HARMONY (Slowly and somewhat shyly): Well, I… I don’t know. I just know I’m not going to be content with a normal life. I want to do something big. Something that will impact people and change lives. (Gaining courage and speed) Yeah, I want to be famous, so sue me. I want to be remembered. Not by my family and friends, but by the world. I want to do crazy and new and ground breaking things. (NIK roles his eyes) Don’t role your eyes, Nik. You want the same thing. You’re just don’t want to admit it. Stop looking at me like I’m crazy. You all want the same thing as me. We want to change the world. We all do, that’s why we’re here. (Suddenly less serious) And that’s exactly what we’re going to do with this project, Jake. We’re going to change the world.